Smart Lock Update fails on Android with "Can't Connect" error
I cannot get my smart lock to update from my phone. Here is what I have tried:
- re-booted phone
-turn of blue tooth and turned it back on
-disconnected other devices
-removed lock from system and re-installed (twice)
-replaced the batteries in the lock
I called customer service and was told there was no update for my lock but app still says there is one. Oh yeah, I also un-installed the app and re-installed it. At my wits end with this thing. Any suggestions?
24 days ago
Thanks for reporting in this thread. We've forwarded all your info to our engineering team for further investigation. But we're still looking for more reports, so if you haven't checked in here yet, please do! We're particularly looking for the following info:
2 months ago
How far away is your phone from the Smart Lock when you try to initiate an update? Bluetooth has a limited range, so I would try to run an update with your phone as close to the Smart Lock as possible with no walls or other dense objects in the way.
2 months ago
I have the same exact problem, it’s very frustrating.
1 month ago
Any updates on this issue?
1 month ago
Wow, that blew. I posted a response and it wasn't accepted. Are we now avoiding people asking questions?
Let's try this again.
1. Lock and phone are touching.
2. 1 out of maybe 10+ times, I see white lights cycling on the lock. Guessing they are talking.
3. WiFi, Mobile Date, Blue Tooth turned on on my phone.
4. All attempts end with an error message about being out of range.
1 month ago
Hi @alachuagoulds @Jayson @emilytoreki @dietrichfamily , and anyone else who is experiencing this issue,
We're gathering info to track a potential issue. Could you please answer with the following info:
That info might help us figure out what is happening.
1 month ago
Also having the same extremely frustrating issue. Tried all the suggestions and still no luck. Smart lock update continually fails after reaching "6 minutes remaining." (Keypads are up to date - as also suggested.) Phone is touching the lock and cannot get any closer.
Simplisafe App 4.81.0
Phone is running Android version 13
27 days ago
Similar frustrations here. I've observed different behaviors though every time I tried.
1. Can't connect - progress indicator spins forever.
2. Connects and completes step 2/6 (sending the update) after about 4 minutes. Flashes step 3/6 for less than a second then fails.
3. Got to step 4/6 once and the app's progress stopped while the smart lock white lights stopped blinking. I let it sit for a bit and nothing happened til I exited.
4. Immediately retried while white lights still blinking and sometimes will reconnect still showing a failure message, progress indicator moves, but fails in a couple minutes once the white lights stop blinking.
5. Immediately retried and sometimes get the out of range error message even though the phone is touching the smart lock.
6. Sometimes the white lights will stop blinking in the middle of step 2/6, then the app reports a failure.
Maybe a hardware/firmware timeout mismatch issue? Maybe the update is too large and is taking too long? Maybe the app logic is encountering an unexpected but normal state when the update finishes being sent to the smart lock?
- no other bluetooth devices
- phone is touching the smart lock. my feet hurts from standing so long, and my wrist hurts from holding the phone
Simplisafe for Android 4.81.0
Samsung Galaxy S10
Smart lock SN#0104EDD7
I noticed I denied notifications permission and there was an app update on May 1. I tried with 4.82.0 with notifications enabled, and still run into similar frustrations. Tried restarting my phone. Same. This time I noticed the "uploading" notification during step 2/6 and "disconnecting" notification after the failure.
25 days ago
I'm having the exact same problem with all 3 locks I own. I'm attempting to update from a Oneplus 8T phone and getting the "connection failed" message. Tried restarting phone, charging it to full, and disconnecting other devices. I'm also within a few feet of the lock.
15 days ago
Called Simplisafe and was informed that All Android OS phones cannot update the lock, they are working on the issue. This only applies to Android phones.
14 days ago
This affects iOS too. I tried twice from my iOS device, standing right next to the lock. It freezes at step 3/6 (updating lock part 1 of 2), with estimated 7 minutes left, and the white lights on the lock stop blinking. Lock is still not updated.
SimpliSafe for iOS app v2078.72.0