Motion Sensor keeps going off
So I've had this motion sensor up and running about a week. .but the last two nights I have gotten false alarms. .I have a cat who is MAYBE 6lbs at most. My camera is pointing right at the thing and I can't for the life of me figure out what's setting it off. It's been 2 different times, first happened at 11:30PM, this one happened at 4:45AM. The cat was no where near it, there is no heat source by it, it's just the one sensor that does it. There are no lamps, no heaters, no electronics, absolutely nothing near it except my couch. Any have any ideas? Could the sensor itself be faulty?
1 year ago
@shelbyr777 Yes, the motion sensor can be faulty, but I can tell you being a customer of SS for over 10 years, the placement of motion sensors is part skill and part art. Won't bore you with all of the stories over the years but can offer some suggestions:
1. head over to the Help Center. Search for SS3 motion sensors. Many good articles on placement tips, and how they work, and the specs concerning distance and angle. (both important factors).
2. Put motion sensor on "secret alert only" and instant trigger for home and away modes for the next week to test.
3. Motion sensors on high go out 20 +feet. Try turning down the sensitivity switch to medium or low, hit that test button and see if that coverage is strong enough. Try low setting too.
4. Don't have the motion sensor pointed towards windows or heat vents. (All mine face inward).
5. You can mount the motion sensor upside down to make it more "cat resistant". Again, check coverage.
6. Seek out advice from cat owner customers. Sevensisamescats is, at least to me, a cat expert for SS for many years as a SS customer. Message him and get some tips.
7. Finally, if all else fails, or if you want to cut to the chase, call SS support. A dedicated, friendly bunch, tell them about your layout and troubleshoot and/or get your troublesome motion sensor replaced.
Finally, I have motion sensors in every downstairs room, every bedroom upstairs and in the garage and have not had one false incident in years. Note I said years, that was not always the case in the beginning.
Please post your outcome here when you get a chance. Best of luck, and have a great week.