One of the most exciting features of the Outdoor Camera is its wireless power capability and long-lasting battery life. When fully charged, the battery is designed to last for up to 3 – 6 months. And since the life of the battery is completely dependent on usage and settings, there are several methods that can be used to maximize the battery of your camera and keep your home protected 24/7.
Your camera is activated by a motion sensor for accurate alerts. If your camera is in the vicinity of a high-traffic area, like a busy road or sidewalk, the motion sensor will be triggered more frequently for unnecessary movement, which can cause the battery to drain.
If your camera is in a high-traffic area:
- Reposition the camera so that its field of view does not include the busy road or sidewalk. You can also set up Activity Zones to avoid monitoring of these areas.
- Make sure there are no tree branches or large plants obstructing the camera's view.
- Be sure to mount your camera 6 – 8 feet above the ground, with the lens facing downward at a 30 degree angle.
There are multiple settings that can be adjusted to help extend the battery life of your camera. To access these settings in the SimpliSafe mobile app: Menu ≡ > My System > Camera Settings > select your Outdoor Camera.
- Lower your camera’s motion sensitivity setting to Default or Low. This will impact how frequently the camera is triggered.
- Enable People-Only Detection to ensure your camera is only capturing humans, and is not unnecessarily triggered by other moving objects or animals.
- Set up Activity Zones to control the areas that the camera will monitor. This is helpful if there is a high-traffic zone in the view that you do not need to monitor.
- Use Standard Night Vision mode instead of the Spotlight feature.
Additional accessories are available for purchase to keep your camera operating 24/7.
- Use an additional battery ($29.99) to have as a backup. Be sure to charge this battery fully before switching it out with the dead battery.
- A power cable ($29.99) can convert the camera from wireless to wired so you never have to worry about charging your battery.
- The outdoor solar panel will provide power to the camera's battery when placed in direct sunlight, without the need to recharge or replace the batteries.