To get the full use of your new WiFi extender, our cameras require your new WiFi extender to be configured in a certain way.
Please read these instructions before installing the extender. As they are supplemental, you should still primarily follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Closer is not always better when it comes to WiFi extender placement. Instead, consider the path that the WiFi signal must travel from the router to the extender to the camera and back. Sometimes it is better to place the extender farther from the camera, but with fewer obstructions. Try experimenting with a couple placements.
As you are setting up the extended WiFi network, please ensure you do the following:
- The extended network should not have the same name as your original network.
- We recommend appending “_EXT” to your extended network. For example, “MyHome_EXT.”
- This ensures that the camera will connect to your extender’s network and not stay connected to your far-away router’s network.
- Turn off the 5ghz version of your extended WiFi network.
- Alternatively, you can name it something else such as “MyHome_EXT5G.”
- SimpliCams and Video Doorbell Pros only connect to 2.4 ghz networks.
- If you are using multiple WiFi extenders, please give each of them distinct names such as “MyHome_EXT1” and “MyHome_EXT2.”
Please note that only devices which have WiFi issues need to be put on the extender network. All your SimpliSafe devices do not need to be on the same network.