The Camera Button is Not Working OR The LED Light is Solid Red
First, you’ll need to ensure that your battery is fully charged for optimal installation:
- Remove the battery from the camera
- Connect it to power using the in-box USB charging cable
- If the three lights on the battery do not all light up, it is not fully charged
- The Outdoor Camera charges fully in just 5 hours for a battery life up to 3 – 6 months
- Ensure your battery is into the camera with the three metal dots lined up with the metal lines inside the camera and the tab facing out
If the battery is not the issue, you can try moving your Base Station closer to the camera and troubleshooting your WiFi connection.
You can also try hard-resetting your camera by pressing and holding the button for three seconds.
An error appeared when attempting to pair to the Base Station
This error occurs because Remote Management has been locked on your account. You can correct this by using the following steps:
- Open and sign into the SimpliSafe mobile or webapp
- Navigate to the system status overview page (where you see the Off, Home, Away buttons)
- There should be a space prompting you to enter your Master Pin to unlock Remote Management on this page
- Enter your Master PIN
- Remote Management should now be unlocked and you should be able to continue your Outdoor Camera set up
Outdoor Camera is Not an Option in the App
If you do not see the Outdoor Camera as an option for installation in the app, it is because the Gen 3 Base Station with the latest firmware updates and mobile app version are required.
You can make sure your mobile app is up to date by visiting your SmartPhone’s app store and checking for updates for the SimpliSafe app.
Check for updates to the Base Station firmware via the Keypad using the steps here.
Incompatible Device Notification
The Wireless Outdoor Security Camera requires a Gen 3 SimpliSafe system in order to work.
For assistance determine which generation system you own, click here.
No Lights Visible on the Camera
If your camera’s LED light is not working, it is likely due to a dead battery or a problem with how the lens was put back onto the camera after installing the battery.
Please double check that:
- Your LED status light is turned on in your camera’s settings
- (Main menu ≡ > Settings > Camera Settings > Outdoor Camera > toggle “Status Light” to On)
- The lens of your camera (the front) is aligned with the speaker facing down and fully tightened onto the base of the camera (see below for proper alignment)
- Ensure the battery is inserted correctly into the camera with the three metal dots aligned with the three metal prongs inside the camera and the battery tab facing out
- When you plug your battery in to power with the included USB charging cord*, all three lights should illuminate to confirm that it is fully charged
*5V, 7.5W or 1.5A+ power adapter (not included) required to connect to a wall outlet
No Video Preview at the End of Set Up
If nothing is blocking your camera’s view, this is likely caused by a poor connection. You can test this by:
- Moving the camera so it is closer to the internet router to test your connectivity
- If the Camera works in this position, there may have been too great a distance between the devices and you will need to install the camera closer to your internet router
- You can also purchase a WiFi extender to extend the range of your WiFi
- If the camera still does not connect when it is right next to your router, you may be experiencing WiFi connectivity issues; in this case, you can try to troubleshoot your WiFi connection
Video Preview is Upside Down
The Outdoor Camera does have the ability to function when mounted upside down, but its motion detection will be degraded by 50%. If you choose to mount your camera upside down, or if your video is showing upside down when you view your recordings or live streams in the app, you can fix this by going to the camera’s settings:
- In the app, tap the three-bar main menu icon ≡
- Choose “Settings” and then “Camera Settings”
- Select the Outdoor Camera
- Toggle the “Rotate Image 180°” setting On or Off to correct the direction of the image
You should also ensure that your camera is installed with the speaker and status light parallel to the ground (right side up or upside down). If turned sideways by 90°, your camera may not function properly. In this case, you can look for a different mounting location that allows you to mount your camera right side up while viewing the desired area, or purchase a permanent mount (coming this fall).
The Magnetic Dome Won't Attach to the Mounting Plate
Issues with the camera’s magnetic dome are likely caused during mounting installation. To troubleshoot this issue:
- Check to see if the lens of the camera is aligned with the speaker facing down and tightened fully (see below for proper alignment)
- Make sure you feel the slight click of the magnetic dome locking into place when screwing it onto the mounting plate
- If the mounting plate appears warped, the screws holding it in place may be overtightened and not allowing the magnetic dome to screw into place
- Loosen the screws holding the mounting bracket
- If the bracket remains warped, you can order a replacement mounting bracket
The Mounting Plate Won't Unscrew from the Magnetic Dome
The mounting plate is likely overly tightened onto the magnetic dome. You can use a coin or screwdriver inserted into the open portion of the plate (shown below) to provide more leverage and ease of unscrewing.