Does your Keypad look like the one pictured to the left? Then you're in the right place! You've got the Gen 3 SimpliSafe system. If you purchased a system in 2017 or earlier, you have the Original SimpliSafe. Click here to view the article about the Original SimpliSafe. If you're not certain which system you have, you can tell the difference here.
If you have the Gen 3 SimpliSafe system and have received a replacement cellular module, follow this guide to install it.
Tools required: Small Phillips head screwdriver
UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE
(You must be connected to WiFi to update your system—to learn how to connect your system to WiFi, click here.)
- Bring your Keypad to your Base Station.
- Push the left side of the Keypad screen where the gear icon is located to prompt the Install menu.
- If there is an update available, select “Install Update” by pushing on the right side of the Keypad screen
- Allow the system to install and reboot, which will take about 10 minutes
- While updating, the Base Station light will be amber and the Keypad screen will show the percentage of the update that has downloaded.
- After your software update completes, YOU MUST disconnect from WiFi before proceeding
- You can disconnect WiFi by turning off your Wireless Router, or you may select “Menu” on your Keypad, enter your master PIN, and select “System Settings” from the menu. From here select “Wifi” then “Forget Network.”
GET YOUR BASE STATION READY:
- Remove the power cable from the bottom of the Base Station.
- Unscrew the one screw from the battery cover and rotate the battery compartment on the bottom of the base station and remove one battery. (pictured below)
- Rotate the Base Station cone counterclockwise, then lift the cone off.
STEP 1: REMOVE THE OLD CELLULAR MODULE
- Unscrew the one screw attaching the cellular module to the Base Station.
- Gently lift the L-shaped cellular module out of the base station and pull the 8-wire multi-colored cable slightly through the opening. (pictured below)
- Unplug the light brown connector from the cellular module by holding and gently pulling the wires. Do not pull by the board—this could damage the connector. (pictured below)
STEP 2: ADD THE NEW CELLULAR MODULE
- Plug the light brown connector from the Base Station into the bottom of the new cellular module. Make sure it is fully plugged in. Do not force the connector in if it doesn’t fit—instead, try plugging it into the other side (pictured below)
- Insert the new cellular module into the slot on the Base Station at a 45-degree angle (highlighted in orange and blue below)
- Gently push the cellular module back into place
- Note: You may need to pull the connecting wire out of the way for the module to slide correctly. Tuck the wire back in once the cellular module is screwed into place.
- If the wire is twisted, please leave it this way.
- Screw the cellular module back into the Base Station.
- Place the Base Station cone back on (make sure the SimpliSafe logo is on the side opposite the power cord).
- Rotate the cone clockwise until it clicks into place.
- Re-insert the Base Station battery, screw the battery cover back on, and reinsert the power cable into the bottom of the Base Station.
- Your system should connect to the new 4G network in 1–2 minutes.
STEP 3: TEST
- Press Menu on your Keypad and enter your master PIN
- Scroll down and select Test Mode, prompting your system to send a test signal that you can see in your account online.
After your test signal is successfully received, please reconnect to WiFi by re-powering your Wireless Router or reconnecting through the KeyPad—click here for instructions.
After you have successfully replaced your cellular module, please be sure to properly dispose of the old 2G cellular module based on your state and local guidance for electronic waste recycling.
- Unplug your Base Station.
- Unscrew the one one screw that was covered by the power plug.
- Twist the bottom open to reveal the battery compartment. Remove one battery.
- Without replacing the battery or the cover, re-insert the power plug.
- Head over to your Keypad, and navigate to Menu > System Settings > WiFi, and go through the steps there.
If you’re having trouble installing your cellular module or reconnecting to WiFi, please call us at 888-734-2792 and we’ll help you sort it out right away.