This article is about the All-New SimpliSafe system. If you purchased a system in 2017 or earlier, you have the Original SimpliSafe. If you're not certain which system you have, you can tell the difference here.
Keypad Out of Range is a generic message that appears on your Keypad whenever the device is not communicating with your Base Station. There are a few different reasons that this error will appear:
- The Keypad is too far away from the Base Station.
- The Keypad is not paired with the Base Station.
Bring the Base Station and Keypad close together (either by sliding the keypad off its bracket or by unplugging the base station). Enter your PIN and see if the error clears. If it does, you may want to adjust the positioning of your Base Station to allow it to communicate more directly with the Keypad (either by bringing the Base Station slightly closer, or moving it to a location with fewer walls in between the Base and Keypad).
If that does not solve your issue, then if you have another Keypad, make sure that the Keypad issuing the “Out of Range” error is programmed to your Base Station. To do this:
- Press “menu” on the Keypad, and enter your Master PIN.
- Choose “Devices” and then scroll down to the Keypad issuing the error. It will be identified either by the name you gave the Keypad, or by its serial number, which can be found underneath the battery cover of the Keypad.
- If you do not see the Keypad issuing the error in your list of devices, scroll back to the top of the Devices menu and select “Add Device”, and then “Keypad”
- When prompted, press and hold the red “panic” button on the top of the Keypad that is issuing the “Out of Range” error. Your Base Station should acknowledge the new device by saying “Keypad added. Now choose a name.”
- Name the device. You can then exit the menu by clicking the “menu” button in the bottom left corner of the Keypad.
If you do not have another Keypad, you can attempt a rescue pair on the Keypad to make sure that it is able to properly communicate with your Base Station. To do this:
- Remove a battery from your Keypad, and then reinsert it.
- Remove the power adapter from your Base Station.
- Using a Phillips-head screwdriver, remove the battery compartment cover from the bottom of the Base Station. Twist counterclockwise to remove the cover.
- Press the small, circular button that sits on the side opposite the slot where the power adapter gets inserted.
- Press one of the buttons on the Keypad.
If the Base Station says “Keypad added,” you should be good to go. The Keypad will provide you with further prompts, if necessary.
If your issue does not appear to be resolved, please contact our customer support team.